Here’s the latest selection from the Space Library – carefully curated and a little bit spacey. The wondrous Kahimi Karie gets us started with a lovely electronic puzzle called ‘Blue Orb’, a short diversion into the world of Stereolab then leads us into Patrick Cowley’s porn soundtrack music (believe the hype, it’s excellent). I’ll skim through the rest but Family Fodder again prove that they were the band that should have received far more accolades – and the same goes for the Gentle People whose ‘Superstar’ mixes a deep space ambiance with E.L.O. vocoder processed vocals. Let’s do this.
It’s that time of year, so here’s a Christmas special – Space Library style. Apart from the odd version of traditional songs, most of these pieces of music have little to do with the event at hand. It is, however, music that sounds to me like it should, or could. Small touches of magic and paganism dot the proceedings, Kahimi Karie covers a lovely Virgina Astley song, there’s some lounge moments, early electronics, modern hauntology, and delicate sounds from Kate Bush, Pizzicato Five and the High Llamas.
Every so often I’ll be including themed shows into the mix, and this is the first. I liked the idea of a show centred around The Mind – thoughts, dreams, inner voices, hypnosis, meditation – that sort of thing. Some of the tracks might also just sound right to me, like they belong both in this theme, and also in The Space Library.
There’s a lot of music in this hour, 25 different tracks, as it includes a certain amount of mixing and overlaying of tracks to create something new, there’s also 2 songs that are 17 seconds or less. One piece in particular I’d like to draw your attention to is Limbo (The Organized Mind) by electronic genius Raymond Scott and The Muppets’ Jim Henson. It’s a delight.
I had a lot of fun putting this together, I hope you enjoy it.
1. Psyche Rock – Pierre Henry (Mass For the Present Time – 1968)
2. Errors In My Mind – Cursor Miner (Danceflaw – 2006)
3. Be Quiet – Jean-Jacques Dexter (Tentez Une Expérience D’Hypnose Réelle – year unknown)
4. Brain Sync – Roj (The Transactional Dharma Of Roj – 2009)
5. And the Cuckoo Comes – The Advisory Circle (Mind How You Go – 2005)
6. Dandelion Countdown (Pictures In Your Mind) – Dick Mills (The BBC Radiophonic Workshop – A Retrospective)
7. Windmills of Your Mind – La Chorale des Enfants de L’Opera de Paris (Children of France – 1970)
8. Etat Hypnotique – Piero Umiliani (Effets Spéciaux – 1970)
9. I Before E Except After C – Yazoo (Upstairs At Eric’s – 1982)
10. Mindwarp – Bachelorette (My Electric Family – 2009)
11. Here In My Mind – Fantastic Plastic Machine (Imaginations – 2006)
12. [Overlay] The Tune In – Dr. Timothy Leary (Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out – 1967)
13. Dream – The Gentle People (Soundtracks for Living – 1997)
14. Daydream – The Gunter Kallmann Choir (The Gunter Kallmann Choir – year unknown)
15. Magma On My Mind – Marc Shearer (A Psychedelic Guide To Monsterism Island – 2009)
16. The Power of Suggestion – The Karminsky Experience Inc. (The Power of Suggestion – 2003)
17. Mind Link/Transfer [From The Human Factor] – Dominic Frontiere (The Outer Limits (Original 1963 Television Soundtrack))
18. Dizzy – Hugo Montenegro (Moog Power – 1969)
19. The Mind Booster + Creation Of Matter – Louis And Bebe Barron (Forbidden Planet – 1956)
20. Limbo: The Organized Mind [vocals: Jim Henson] – Raymond Scott (Manhattan Research Inc. – 1966)
21. Mindscape – Gil Melle (Mindscape 1 – 1989)
22. [Overlay] Meditation Outtakes – The Books (Music For A French Elevator – 2006)
23. Okita’s Thoughts – Hachirou Aoyama (Super Express 109 – 1975)
24. Hypnosis – Tom Elliot (Space Electronics – year unknown)
25. Thoughts And Clouds – Lullatone (Plays Pajama Pop Pour Vous – 2006)